Monday 26 October 2015

I Can't Date A Woman In The Industry - Michael Switch

Posted By: Yo Blog - 13:53:00

Share

& Comment

 Michael Ugorji popularly known as “Michael Switch” is an upcoming artiste who has been in the industry for over six years. While he was at the University of Lagos, he engaged in rap battles and also became a VJ with Dynamix on TV. In this exclusive  interview with Naij.com, he talks about his journey so far on the music scene.


Tell us about yourself

My real name is Michael Ugorji. I am from Umuahia, Abia state. I was born into a large extended family.‎ I attended primary and secondary schools in Lagos. I went to kings college and then proceeded to university of Lagos where I majored in psychology. I was born and raised in Lagos.

What influenced your name, Michael Switch?

Michael Switch is a moniker I coined to distinguish myself from the many Switches in the industry. Originally, I was known by the name ‘Switch’, a name I adopted by coincidence. Later, I decided to
add my first name which is Michael to give it a cool swing. Sort of like -a James Bond- Michael Switch type of thing.

How did your journey in entertainment begin?

Honestly, entertainment sort of happened to me . I was young and heavily frustrated by Jamb, broke, hungry and passionate. I stumbled upon modeling as a means to survive. I focused on photo modelling as opposed to run way, then gradually, I started to experiment with acting. At the time, it helped if you could act as well as model. As a model I did jobs for big brands. Then I went into acting, where I had my first movie role called Stand By Me with Genevieve Nnaji. That was when my love for television was born. Before long I was on TV three times a week on the lifestyle, music show called Dynamix on TV as a VJ. I know say i don waka dis industry.

Sources say you are now into music, what inspired your love for music?

Along my journey in the industry, I met a two-man group called the Kenzos. They were my first influences. They got me so interested in music that before long I was dressing, walking, talking and trying to find my voice. Eventually I did, picked up my first guitar and pow, Michael Switch was born. However Dynamix on TV is the platform that gave me my first shot at fame as a VJ.

Tell us about your new single and if you have any video out?

I have several singles recorded but I have not released any except the short song Different Breed for which a video has been shot. It’s just a short inspirational song. My own little gospel tune. But I haven’t released any other major songs just yet. I have been working hard at the studio. Get ready for Michael Switch. I’m coming!

Are you going to give up being a TV presenter for music full time?

Oh no, I won’t be giving up on television. As a matter of fact, the music gives me better opportunities to express myself on television. A lot of music legends have gone on too become huge TV personalities with a few examples like Queen Latifah, LL Cool J and our very own Onyeka Owenu and Charlie Boy. So I’m right where I need to be. Music is my evolution. It is who I am now. Besides, I am professionally trained. So in the future, you would be seeing me probably hosting huge music TV shows and more. The possibilities are endless.

Are you signed to a record label? If yes, which one?

Currently, I am not signed to any record labels. However, talks and meetings along those lines are currently taking place as my management has been approached by several industry heavy weights. Something big is cooking I can assure you.

How do you intend to keep pushing your career?

My career nor be motto wey spoil so why I go need to dey push am… lol. To answer your question, my career currently is self powered. The industry has diversified and with the advent of the internet now, it’s media at your finger tips. My management and I will keep working and soon enough fans will have access to some of my materials.

Are your parents supportive of your music?

Hahaha.. at all o. My parents would rather I was some quiet guy with nerd glasses sitting at a desk and earning cool salary. But as God would have it, I live a more exciting and even more beautiful life. The life of an entertainer and even though they don’t exactly support it, I know they still love and pray for my success in the end.

What professional path would you have ventured into if you didn’t go into entertainment?

Advertising! I would have ventured into advertising professionally. That’s as white collar as I could ever get. I think that somewhere trapped inside me is a potential copy writer.
What do you think about dating someone in the entertainment industry?

I wouldn’t say never but I do know that life is about balance and for me, it is dating outside of my career path. I’m very outgoing, social and spontaneous. I’d rather date a lady who is an introvert. Besides, woman for this industry eye don too tear o jare… Na joke o!

Have you ever dated one?

No, I haven’t.

Are you single?

No, I’m not single o. All my female fans na my girlfriends now.

Who is your celebrity crush?

I have a lot of them. I used to have a crush on Tiwa Savage before she got married, then Chidimna, and now, Cynthia Morgan is on my radar. Hello, German juice!

What next are we expecting from you before the year runs out?

I hope to drop one single and a video. This single is a major dance hall song. As Nigerians, we are a happy people and we love to party. So I want to give my people one major party song before the year runs out. God willing.

What is your most embarrassing moment?

I’m a really naughty person so it’s really hard to embarrass me. But if I had to pick one it will be when I was serving (National Youth Corps Service), there was a day I was traveling by road from Abuja to Lagos and I was stooling, by the time we got to Lagos, I had stopped the bus over seven times to do the number two. And there was this girl I was toasting just beside me. I’m sure it was the main reason she refused to give me her number.

What is your advice to people who want to join the entertainment industry?

Patience is key. Learn to wait for your time. It’s a lesson I’ve come to learn the hard way in life. Also, believe in your talent. If you don’t believe in what you are selling, nobody else will. Believe in yourself and believe in God.


About Yo Blog

Organic Theme is officially developed by Templatezy Team. We published High quality Blogger Templates with Awesome Design for blogspot lovers.The very first Blogger Templates Company where you will find Responsive Design Templates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 Yemi Oloyede's Blog

Designed by Templatezy & Copy Blogger Themes